01 September 2006

HOW FOOLISH


Friday of the 21st Week in Ordinary Time
Mt 25:1-13

There are ten virgins in the Gospel today. Five are wise while the other five are foolish. All ten wait for the coming of the bridegroom. Half of them fall asleep. The problem is not the sleeping. After all, when the bridegroom finally arrives, the five sleeping virgins wake up.

The issue is foolishness, not lethargy. Foolishness is not ignorance. I am not necessarily a fool simply because I do not know. I am foolish when I do not use my common sense. If I were Jewish, I should know that part of the surprise in a Jewish wedding is the exact moment of the bridegroom’s arrival. He may come early or be delayed. No problem: I will not sleep. My problem: I do not have enough oil for my lamp.

How can I be so foolish not to bring enough oil? My answers may be yours too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home