21 August 2006

THE IMPERFECT PERFECTIONIST


Monday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time
Mt 19:16-22

I confess: I am a perfectionist. I want everything perfect. Because nothing in this world is perfect, sometimes I easily get impatient when imperfection manifests itself.

But I am not perfect. I am an imperfect person who will settle for nothing but the perfect. Because I am not perfect myself, my own imperfection hurts me the most.

Who does not want to be perfect anyway? If Jesus were to ask us the question implied in His advice to the man in the Gospel today, we would almost certainly say, “But, of course, Lord, we want to be perfect.” And His suggestion for us to do is just the same: “If you wish to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” Having heard so, will we also go away sad, for we are a people of great wealth?

To be perfect means not to be a slave to anything. I confess: sometimes I live by my wants rather than by my needs. To be perfect means to deny one’s self so as to serve the other’s needs. I confess: sometimes I preserve my self and expect others to serve me. To be perfect means to have treasure in heaven. I confess: sometimes I am lured by earthly conveniences. To be perfect means to let go. I confess: sometimes I would rather stay because I am afraid to risk. To be perfect means to follow Jesus. I confess: sometimes I want Jesus to follow me instead. But, unlike the man in the Gospel today, I will not go away sad. I choose to remain with Jesus with the confident hope that He will teach me how to let go and be perfect like Him.

Will you stay with us?

1 Comments:

At 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father God, help me that i will be able to let go of the things that will not glorify you and those that are just for my own sake and convenience.
May i be able to Let Go and Let God handle my life.

God bless po.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home