28 August 2006

LATE HAVE I LOVED YOU


Memorial of St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church
Mt 23:8-12
Today is the memorial of St. Augustine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church. Very few Catholics – and even non-Catholics – do not know him.

St. Augustine was born in Tagaste, Africa around the year 354. In the early years of his life, he followed the example of his mother, St. Monica, but later fell into a licentious way of life. In one of his famous writings entitled, “Confessions”, he said, “My sins increase like a rolling snowball.” With tears, his pious mother, constantly prayed for his conversion until at age thirty-three he was deeply moved by a sermon of St. Ambrose in Milan and was baptized. St. Augustine went to Africa and was elected bishop of Hippo. For thirty-four years, he guided his flock, instructing it with sermons and many writings. He was relentless in fighting the heresies of his time and defending the Faith carefully and convincingly through his writings. In the year 430, St. Augustine passed away.

Below is an excerpt from St. Augustine’s book, “Confessions”. It may well be our confession too.

“Late have I loved You, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!
You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for You.
In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.
You were with me, but I was not with You. Created things kept me from You;
yet if they had not been in You they would not have been at all. You called,
You shouted, and You broke through my deafness. You flashed, You shone,
and You dispelled my blindness. You breathed Your fragrance on me;
I drew in breath and now I pant for You. I have tasted You, now I hunger and thirst
for more. You touched me, and I burned for Your peace.”

Anyone who thinks that it is too late to return to the Lord must think again.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, bless us that we will always respond to your call on the timely manner and give us the grace that we will also lead our family and friends to be on you side and stay with you.

God bless po....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home