24 August 2006

NATHAN EL


Feast of St. Bartholomew, Apostle
Jn 1:45-51


There is little we know about Bartholomew. In the story about how he met Jesus, he was not even called “Bartholomew”, but Nathanael. Because in Hebrew, the word “bar” means son of, Bartholomew indicates whose son Nathanael was. He was “bar Tholomei”, the “son of Tholomei”. This is how we commonly refer to him nowadays. If Nathanael’s father were alive with us today, he would indeed be a “proud” father. He sired an apostle of Jesus. And we all remember that apostle by his father’s name!

If my father were still alive today, he would be seventy-one years old. I saw him walked down the aisle of the Manila Cathedral with overwhelming joy on the day of my ordination to the priesthood. Eleven years since then, I sometimes wonder if he is still beaming with joy in heaven for having sired a priest of the Lord. But, aside from relatives and close friends, very few people remember my father.

If I were Nathanael, I would be called “Barcarlos”, “Roberto Barcarlos”, “Roberto son of Carlos.” But I am not Nathanael, and people call me “Father Bobby”. But both Nathanael and I are gifts of God to our fathers even before we are their gifts to Him.

“Nathan” means “gift” in Hebrew. “Nathan-el” is “gift of God”. Nathanael and I are gifts of God. Apostles and priests are exactly that.

You, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home