13 May 2006

WE SEE THE MOTHER IN HER SON TOO


Memorial of Our Lady of Fatima
Jn 14:7-14

Today, we remember in the liturgy the Blessed Mother’s first of six apparitions to three shepherd children, Jacinta, Francisco, and Lucia, in a little village named, Fatima, in Portugal. The apparitions lasted until 13 October 1917. As it always is in all Marian apparitions,  Our Lady of Fatima, through the three children, called humankind to prayer, conversion, and reparation.

In the Gospel today, Jesus talks about His Father. He tells Philip that whoever sees Him sees the Father. He can say the same thing in relation to His mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, can He not?

Many people see in me some features and traits of my parents. Some say that I have my father’s nose and others say that I have my mother’s eyes. Still there are those who recognize in me not only my parents’ physical features, I also remind them of my parents’ attitudes, behavior, mannerisms, and even idiosyncrasies. There is something about my father and mother in me. There always is something of our parents in us.

We see the Father in Jesus. We likewise see Mary in Him. As He is the Father’s only Begotten, He was conceived in the womb of the Blessed Mother. There is something about Mary in Jesus. His flesh was formed in her body and her blood flows in His veins.

Once, I ventured into asking my professor in liturgy. “Father,” I asked, “because the Body of Jesus was formed in the womb of the Blessed Virgin Mary, can we say that we likewise receive something of Mary when we receive Jesus?” To my surprise, my professor could not give me any conclusive answer. Was my question really that difficult to answer?

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, there are times that we are away from you but when trouble comes to our live, we run to your Mother just like our own. When we're in communication with your Mother, we also feel the peace coming from You. Bless us that we may always remember seek You thru your Mother. Thank you for giving us your Blessed Mother to be our own.

God bless po...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home