12 May 2006

CAN YOU SHOW ME THE WAY?


Friday in the 4th Week of Easter
Jn 14:1-6

When I received my first assignment as parish priest, the church entrusted to my pastoral care was in a far-flung area in Caloocan City. The road that led to the heart of the parish was dusty and rough. Coconut trees and cornfields abounded in the area. Right next to one of the boundaries of the parish was already the province of Bulacan. It was my first time to be there and I could hardly figure out where the parish church was, so I requested my driver to pull over that I may inquire directions from a group of children playing along the road.

“Son,” I talked to one of the children, “could you kindly tell me where the parish church is?” The boy stared at me blankly, so I tried to break the ice by saying, “If you tell me where the parish church is, I will show you the way to heaven!” But the boy gave me the puzzled look and said, “Sir, you do not even know how to get to the parish church, how can you show me the way to heaven?”

Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. There is no other. When we are lost in the labyrinth of life, in Jesus alone can we find the right direction. When we are confused about the various and conflicting teachings proposed to our belief, in Jesus alone can we know the truth. When we find our selves facing a dead-end or death itself, in Jesus alone can we receive life. Jesus does not only show us the way or teach us the truth or gives us life. He Himself is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Therefore, it is a matter of our survival to keep our selves attuned to Jesus, united with Jesus, and rooted in Jesus. Without Jesus, we are lost, confused, and dead.

My search for the parish church of my first assignment as pastor eventually led me to the right place. The boy I inquired from (after a loud childish laughter) eventually pointed the way to me. Quite often, we need other people to put us on the right track. In the same manner, we need one another to lead us closer, if not lead us back, to our common destination: heaven. We do so by striving to become more and more like Jesus to one another. For there is only one Way, one Truth, and one Life: Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home