30 November 2010

BRIDGES NOT CLIQUES

Wednesday of the 1st Week of Advent
Mt 15:29-37

Jesus felt sorry for the crowd that followed Him wherever He went. He felt sorry for the people because they were with Him for three days and had nothing to eat. Nothing to eat? Well, not all the people because His close circle had seven loaves of bread and a few small fish. Okay, so not all the people were to die of starvation. Only a majority of them! What?!

Does belonging to the “close circle” of Jesus make us think we are a special breed? Does it make us live as if we are exempted from being hungry while the rest starve? Does it make us feel good to lavish on God’s blessings while the “outsiders” languish? Does it make us justify why we should reserve and keep the little we have while the majority has nothing at all?

Jesus, feeling sorry, for the “outsiders”, asks us today, “What do you have?” Do we dare hide from Him what we keep under our sleeves? Or do we also say, “Seven loaves and a few small fish.”

I believe in miracles; and they all begin with an act of love. Bringing out our seven loaves and few small fish is an act of love. Sharing with others even the too little we have is loving in action. Miracles happen when we love. We do miracles not only when we believe, but more so when we love.

Jesus teaches us, His disciples, an important lesson today. We are called to belong to His “inner circle” not to exclude the others but to be bridges between Him and the rest. We are called to be channels of His graces, instruments of His blessings, doers of His miracles. Yes, even with our seven loaves of bread and a few small fish, to be blessings ourselves.

Let us not only be sorry for the people’s hunger. Let us do something. Let us share and turn Jesus’ feeling sorry into Jesus’ doing another miracle through us.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me share this experience at our workplace a year ago.

At 3pm, I bought a pansit bihon at our canteen for my merienda. I’m thankful because they added more delicious pansit for a single serving. I enjoyed my merienda at my work desk and I said to myself that I will share the half of it to one of my colleague. But I had a second thought “ibigay ko na lang kaya sa sister ko ung kalahati.” But that time, I’m happy to give it to my colleague. So around 3:30pm, I gave it to one of my colleague and she’s thankful for it and then she went to the launch area to eat it.

After a minute, I heard the conversation of my co-employees “may nagbigay ng libreng pansit, kumakain na sila sa launch.” At 3pm, others were already eating the said free merienda. Actually when I heard that, I had a little tear, not because I was not invited for a free merienda, but because of a story that came up to my mind. Perhaps at the launch, their conversation might be “Bumili ka pala ng pansit.” Ang isasagot nman nung binigyan ko, “hindi, binigay to ni ___:)” What a co-incident? Nasa tamang timing talaga si Lord sa pagbibigay ng pansit…. Este ng aral…

Kami na binigyan na nang libre, eh nahirapan magbahagi; Pero ang sa kanya ay naibahagi pa nya.

Sa katunayan, si Hesus ang totoong naging mapagbigay. Ginamit lamang N’ya kami, simula dun sa tindera sa canteen na nagbigay ng marami, tapos nahawa lang ako na magbigay rin. Hindi natin mapipigilan ang kaligayahan na dulot ng pagbabahagi kahit sa maliliit na bagay lang. Ang mahalaga ay nanggagaling sa puso ang pagbibigay. Mararamdaman iyon ng binibigyan kung mabuti o hindi mabuti ang intensyon ng nagbibigay.

Lord, we pray to be instruments of Your Gifts for Your people. Amen.

 
At 9:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A person who has a "happy spirit"
is a reflection of God's presence in one's life and is always ready to dispose something that is good.

There is no essence of life, when Love is absent.Life is empty as it can be without a purpose, without the feeling of appreciation and being appreciated.

Because, "Only a life lived for others, is a Life worthwhile".

Lord Jesus, teach many of us to be like You, a Heart that makes other hearts happy that gives substance to make this life worth living.

-----

God bless you and family, Fr.Bobby .


-rory

 
At 2:01 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

This is a wonderfully fitting post for the first week of Advent- or any time! Thank you for sharing!

Sarah
theweatheredword.blogspot.com

"Come unto me, all ye who are weary and overburdened, and I shall provide you rest."-Matthew 11:28

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home