04 January 2007

LETTING GO

Thursday in the 2nd Week of Christmas
Jn 1:35-42

After almost twelve years in the ministry, I would be lying if I say I have not developed some following. There are people who follow me whatever parish I am transferred. Some of them follow me with a respectful distance while others are almost already stepping on my toes. Sometimes it feels good to know that people follow me because I inspire them, but oftentimes it can be very embarrassing before the Lord, knowing that perhaps I inspire them to follow me instead the Lord Himself.

When a priest develops a considerable following, it can be very difficult at times to let go of it. More than eleven years in the ministry showed me many faces of priests; some of them are faces threatened by diminishing number of followers. Perhaps, more often than I realize, sometimes such a face is also mine.

What could John the Baptist’s face be when his disciples started leaving him to follow Jesus? I suppose, it was a happy face. After all, he himself claimed, “He must increase while I must decrease.” John never lost sight of his mission: to point the Lamb of God to the waiting world. He was never sidetracked from his goal: to prepare a people for the Lord. John must be overjoyed as he saw his disciples becoming disciples of Jesus. He had no problem with letting go…even literally with his head…for the Lord.

John the Baptist continues to disturb us who rather hold on to than let go.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I always frequent your blog. Thanks so much Father Bob.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home