23 September 2006

PADRE PIO


Memorial of St. Pio of Pietrelcina, Priest
Mt 11:25-30


St. Pio was born of simple, hardworking farming parents on 25 May 1887, in Pietrelcina, Southern Italy. He was tutored privately until his entry into the Capuchin Friars at the age of 15. Of feeble health but strong will, with the help of grace he completed seminary studies and was ordained a priest in 1910.

On 20 September 1918, the five wounds of our Lord’s Passion miraculously appeared on his body, making him the first stigmatized priest in the history of the Church. Countless numbers were attracted to his confessional and many more received his saintly and spiritual guidance through correspondence. His whole life was marked by long hours of prayer and continual austerity. His letters to his spiritual directors reveal the ineffable sufferings, physical and spiritual, which accompanied him all through his life. They also reveal his very deep union with God, his burning love for the Holy Eucharist and the Blessed Mother. Worn out of over half a century of intense suffering and constant apostolic activity in San Giovanni Rotondo, he was called to his heavenly reward on 23 September 1968.
On 2 May 1999, Pope John Paul II beatified Padre Pio. Three years later, on June 16, the same Holy Father canonized Padre Pio.

I confess, I am speechless contemplating the life of our saint today. Instead of preaching about him, I am strongly drawn to pray to him. I divulge one of my secrets: Each time I walk towards the altar to celebrate the Mass, I mention the name of Padre Pio and ask him to help me celebrate the Mass with the same devotion he has for the Blessed Eucharist.

I was at the birthplace, the childhood house, and the church of the Holy Family in San Giovanni Rotondo, where Padre Pio spent most of his priestly life, last May this year. I went inside the house where he was born. I saw his personal effects exhibited in his parents’ house. I saw real pictures of his parents and siblings. I walked the cobblestones of the narrow street leading to his house. I saw his personal belongings as a friar at San Giovanni Rotondo. I saw his correspondences that occupy a whole room. I saw and venerated the crucifix he was contemplating on when he received the stigmata. I saw his rocking chair, his oxygen tank, his gloves, his undershirts, his bed, his pen, etc. I knelt and prayed before his tomb. I heard the confession of three Italian ladies and one Italian man and said Mass right in front of his tomb.
I am simply speechless.

All I can do is look at him. All I want to do is to invite you to look at Padre Pio.

I want to be like him. I want my priesthood to be like his. He is a mirror of Jesus to me.

It is said that Padre Pio used to pray the complete mysteries of the rosary fifteen times a day. When asked why it takes him so long in prayer, Padre Pio said that as he prays at every bead of the rosary, a guardian angel whispers to him the requests of a soul. Padre Pio once said that we should send him our guardian angels to tell him what we want him to pray for on our behalf and he assured us that he would offer his prayers and sacrifices for our intentions.

In silence, let us pause for a while now and send our guardian angels to Padre Pio to tell him our requests.

Padre Pio is likewise said to have remarked that he would not enter heaven until all his spiritual children are sure to enter heaven too. I do not know how that can be, but I am sure that Padre Pio will do everything to help all his devotees enter heaven someday.

In this Mass, let us begin to be devotees of Padre Pio. Let us continue knowing him more and entrusting our selves to his paternal solicitude. He will not fail us. He will certainly embrace us as a father embraces his child.

“Padre Pio, teach us too, we pray, humility, that we may be counted
among the humble of heart in the Gospel to whom the Father promised
to reveal the mysteries of His kingdom. Obtain for us an expression of
faith capable of recognizing Jesus in the faces of the poor and suffering.
Sustain us during our times of trial and struggle and, should we fail,
let us experience the joy of forgiveness in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Teach us tender devotion towards Mary, Mother of Christ and our Mother.
Accompany us on our earthly pilgrimage towards the blessed Homeland,
where we, too, hope to arrive to contemplate eternally the glory of the Father,
the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen
(Prayer of Pope John Paul II to St. Pio of Pietrelcina).


Padre Pio, prega por noi. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home