11 July 2006

NO CRYSTAL-CLEAR ANSWERS FOR NOW


Memorial of St. Benedict, Abbot
Mt 19:27-29

Today is the memorial of St. Benedict, Abbot. He is the Father of Western Monasticism. He authored the monastic rule “Ora et Labora” (“Prayer and Work”). From him, our present Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, takes his name. Waging a battle against relativism, which he says threatens most particularly Europe. Benedict XVI wishes to follow the example of his saintly namesake who saved European civilization.

When I was younger, I wanted to become a Benedictine monk. I attended a live-in seminar in the Monastery of Our Lady of Montserrat. I was only seventeen years old then. Thus, I did not immediately apply for admission after the live-in seminar. As years went by, my love for the monastic life did not fade. While in Bukidnon for my rural exposure, I would often spend days with the Benedictines of the Monastery of the Transfiguration. Perhaps, becoming a monk was my desire, but I discerned more deeply if it were also God’s desire for me.

My desire is one thing; God’s is another. Between the two, it is what God desires that counts most.

I have already met and counseled quite a number of people who were seriously considering leaving everything behind to enter a monastic order. Quite often, one of the most important issues that bother them is whether becoming a monk is also God’s will for them or not. They wanted to be crystal-clear with God’s will before they take any step towards monastic life. I do not blame them because I, too, once asked an elder priest if it was God’s will for me to become a priest. “There are signs along the way, Bob, but you cannot get a crystal-clear answer about your question,” the elder priest told me.

It will only be in heaven where we can finally have the crystal-clear answers to our questions regarding our vocation. What matters now is that we strive to persevere in fidelity to the life that the signs God sends us are pointing to. After all, as Bl. Teresa of Calcutta said, “God does not expect us to be successful but to be faithful.” For now, only two are required: ora et labora (pray and work)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home