01 July 2006

CARING


Saturday of the 12th Week in Ordinary Time
Mt 8: 5-17

I am sick as I write and post this reflection on CRUMBS. The Gospel today seems to be especially written for me because it narrates to us two healings in a row. The centurion servant is lying at home paralyzed, and in great pain, while Peter’s mother-in-law is in bed with fever. Both, Jesus heals.

The first healing is on account of the centurion’s faith in Jesus. The second is a prelude to the woman’s serving the Lord. Both remind us not only about faith but also about care.

The centurion cares for his servant as a father cares for his son. Thus, he sheds off all his military pride and pleads with Jesus. Peter’s mother-in-law, for her part, shows us that care is the best token of gratitude for healing.

It is care that heals just as it is faith that moves the Lord. When we care enough for others, no one will be too sick to be far from healing. I know it that is why am sick today.

Pipo, my 5-year-old adopted son, was sick since Tuesday. He got well last Thursday. He had tonsillitis, cough, and fever. As I father myself, I get so worried when my dear Pipo is sick. He complains about headache and about his tonsil. His being asthmatic adds to my worry. Very often, when he has cough or cold, he gets an attack. Have you seen anyone suffering from asthma attack?

Because I care more than the world for my little son, I prayed to the Lord last Wednesday, “Lord, please spare Pipo. Let me have his sickness instead.” Lo and behold, Thursday came and Pipo got well while I started to be sick.

Sometimes, caring can mean taking the other’s place.

1 Comments:

At 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, may we offer to you the sickness that we have, both physical, emotional, financial and spiritual. Help us that we will understand your plan and give us the faith that inspite of whatever sickness we are in, we could still love you back and others.

God bless po...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home