21 September 2005

FOLLOW ME


Feast of St. Matthew, Apostle

Mt 9:9-13


Follow me.

Go where I go. Come with me. Stay with me. Be with me. Remain in me. This is the first meaning of “Follow me”.

Do what I tell you. Obey me. Accomplish the task I give you. Fulfill the mission I entrust you with. This is the second meaning of “Follow me”.

Imitate me. Copy me. Do what I do. Do not only go where I go; become like me. Do not only obey me; be another me. This is the third meaning of “Follow me”.

Jesus’ “Follow me” for Matthew was not only an invitation. It was a command. The very person of Jesus captured the heart of Matthew so much so that Matthew left everything behind and followed Jesus. He went where Jesus went. He did what Jesus said. He became an alter Christus. Matthew followed the Lord all the way: when he left his tax collector’s post, he never returned to it again. And when finally Matthew was martyred, as all the apostles were, except John and Judas, he could say with Paul, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me” (Gal 2:20).

Jesus tells us today what He told Matthew then, “Follow me.” Likewise, it is not a mere invitation to us. It is a command. It is our mandate. It is our life.

Let us be where Jesus is. Let us do what Jesus says. Let us become like Jesus. May we be the feet for Jesus. May we be His hands. May our hearts be made like unto His. Go with Jesus. Work for Jesus. Love like Jesus.

Not worthy? Who is?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home