17 September 2005

WISE, HUMBLE, AND HOLY


Memorial of St. Robert Belarmine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Wis 7:7-10, 15-16

The liturgical calendar tells us that today is the memorial of St. Robert Belarmine, Bishop and Doctor of the Church. It is, however, an optional memorial. It means that we may or we may not remember him today. I often wonder why there should be optional memorials in the hierarchy of liturgical feasts. Should we not just remember each saint so as to learn from their examples and celebrate their memorials so as to thank God for them?

But St. Robert Belarmine, according to a very limited research I did when I was yet an SVD novice, is the only saint who is my namesake. I was christened “Roberto”. I believe, though, that there must be other “Roberts” or “Robertos” in heaven. Nonetheless, let me propose the First Reading indicated for St. Robert Belarmine’s Mass today. It is from the book of Wisdom.

The Reading begins with the words “I prayed for wisdom”. Immediately I wonder how many times I pray for the same gift. To my shame, I realize that I seldom pray for wisdom. And even more regretful, I often ask the Lord to make me know but I seldom beg to make me understand. This is the cause of most of the blunders in my life and in my ministry. Both knowledge and wisdom are certainly God’s gifts but understanding comes with the grace of wisdom not knowledge. Many things I know I do not necessarily understand. Wisdom alone sheds light to knowledge. When the writer of the First Reading prayed for wisdom, understanding was given him.

St. Robert Belarmine was a very holy servant of God. His holiness was seen in his humility despite serving kings and queens, despite being a bishop and cardinal of the Church, and despite having had one of the most brilliant minds the Church ever produced. His holiness likewise shone forth from his defense of the teachings of the Church. He was one of the brightest theologians and staunch defenders of the Church during the Reformation.

Humility reveals the wisdom of a holy man. He does not only know but also understands that, as the First Reading says, “We are indeed in His hand, we ourselves and our words, with all our understanding, too, and technical knowledge.”

Knowledge is necessarily a hindrance to humility if knowledge does not come with wisdom and is not used for holiness. Let us always pray for wisdom. Let strive to be humble always. Let us be holy. St. Robert Belarmine showed us it is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home