13 June 2006

ONLY WITH LOVE


Memorial of St. Anthony of Padua
Lk 10:1-9

Today’s memorial is very special to me. My first assignment after priestly ordination was the Parish of St. Anthony of Padua in Singalong, Manila. I was parochial vicar in the parish and a vice director in its parochial school. Because it was my first assignment, I have many memorable experiences there. I cannot choose even one to share with you today because all my experiences at St. Anthony Parish and School are worth mentioning!

The first thing that comes to my mind, however, when I think about my first priestly assignment is the poor. I remember my meals and afternoon chats with the vendors right outside the church. I also recall the beggars that beg from both the parishioners and from us, priests in the parish. Not a few among the beggars I met were either mentally challenged or physically handicapped. It just seemed then that the church was a natural home for the poor – financially, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

St. Anthony of Padua’s love for the poor was renowned during his time. Thus, the “St. Anthony’s Bread” that is blest every feast of the saint and is distributed among the poor. The poor had a very soft spot in the heart of Anthony when he was still on earth; they still have now that he is in heaven.

I suppose, this is what it means to proclaim that the Kingdom of God. Of course, the Kingdom of God is more than just a piece of bread that is blest and given to the poor annually. But it is not the bread that satisfies the hunger of the poor. It is love. Without love, no proclamation of the Kingdom is possible and no poor can be fed. There may be bread available but without love, the bread will never reach the poor. The Kingdom of God is near but without love, it will never arrive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home