08 July 2005

NO PUPPET BUT REED



Matthew 10:16-23

I have an adopted son, named Pipo. Pipo loves playing with his Dalmatian puppet dog. He always asks me to make the puppet “talk” to him. I oblige on one condition: he talks back to the puppet in English. It is my playful way of teaching him a second language.

Pipo enjoys talking with his puppet dog. You know he does because he giggles and jumps when the puppet “talks” to him…in English. I am amazed at how he laughs his heart out. He is aware though that it is not the puppet that talks to him but me because he looks at my mouth while his puppet “talks”. Oh, children!

Jesus tells His apostles: “But when they hand you over, do not worry about how to speak or what to say; what you are to say will be given to you when the time comes; because it is not you who will be speaking; the Spirit of your Father will be speaking in you.” I cannot help but remember Pipo, his Dalmatian puppet dog and me. Did Jesus know about our “puppet ritual”?

But the apostles were not puppets of God. They were men with freewill to choose whether to allow God to speak through them or not. They were free to let the Spirit of the Father to speak in them or not. Puppets do not enjoy this freedom.

The apostles were like reeds instead. As a song written by Fr. Manoling Francisco, S.J. says, “I am Your reed, Sweet Shepherd; glad to be. Now with Your will, breathe out Your joy in me and make bright songs to fill me with the soft moan of Your love….” Lovers are not meant to be puppets but reeds. We are lovers of the Lord. We are His reeds.

When I pick up Pipo’s Dalmatian puppet dog, it begins “speaking” to him. The puppet has no choice. It cannot even protest if I make it speak poor English. Pipo, aware though he is that it is I who speaks through the puppet, jumps with joy and giggles just like any four-year old kid each time his puppet “speaks”. When I allow the Spirit of the Father to speak through me, I am like Pipo instead…thrilled, joyful, jumping. But I am no puppet. I am His reed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home