23 July 2005

HIGH SCHOOL COVENANT



Ex 24:3-8/Mt 14:24-30

I have a best friend named Cyril. We grew up together in the high school seminary. In college, though, we had to separate ways. I went to the Ateneo while he moved to U.S.T. I pursued priesthood and he psychology. Though we no longer lived together in the seminary, we maintained our contact and, even today, we are the best of friends.

When I left the seminar in 1989, I dropped by where Cyril was working. Cyril pressed on me to stay longer for a heart-to-heart talk. “Irene (his girlfriend then and now wife) has a problem,” Cyril began. I asked, “What bothers Irene?” “I am deciding to go back to the seminary,” he replied. Surprised, I asked him, “But why?” He answered, “Because you left the seminary. Bob, we made a covenant way back in high school, don’t you remember?” “Covenant? Huh…what covenant?” I asked. “We made a pact that one of us would have to become a priest,” He said.

Honestly, I had forgotten all about our high school covenant. But I advised Cyril, “Don’t rush into making the decision of going back to the seminary, Cyril. Pray and discern carefully.” Did I say “pray”? But our high school covenant was never in my own prayer. Discern carefully? But I was not careful not to forget our pact. Cyril was!

The First Reading today gives us a dramatic narration of how the covenant between God and the Israelites was made after the Sinai experience. The covenant was even sealed by blood. Yet we know the story of the Israelites. We know how unfaithful they became to their covenant with Yahweh. We know how easily they forgot it in times of plenty and peace. But remind God of it when life is tough and disturbed. The Israelites worshipped Baal, thereby mocking their covenant with Yahweh. Scriptures compare the Israelites with a woman who commits adultery against God, their faithful Lover. Not seldom do the Scriptures depict Israel even as a prostitute.

But like the farmer in the Gospel today, God gave countless chances to Israel to return to His embrace. He did not turn His back on her even when Israel deserted Him. “Yahweh remembers His covenant forever,” so says the psalmist. And the psalmist is right.

I am no better than my best friend Cyril. He was faithful to our high school covenant. We are the new Israel. Are we any better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home